6.24.2013

Happy barn...


Long time no see! I didn't expect to disappear for the past few months, but I've been busily enjoying life offline. Kicky and EZ E are growing too fast, PRH is working on our neighbors' farm for the summer, and I am still settling in at work. Life has been happy and crazy. 

This weekend the babes had a camp out at their grandparents' house while PRH and I cleaned out the barn. We decided to focus on this gorgeous building this summer- clean it out, put on the new roof, new electric, new paint, etc. It needs some love. With those goals in mind, PRH ordered a dumpster for me for mother's day (best.gift.ever). That fabulous green beast is now packed full of barn debris and PRH and I are both on a barn-cleaning high. This is the older, late 1800's half of the barn. The other side was build in the 1930's. We cleaned both sides (I'll share photos of the 30's side soon). Here's a look...


The barn was full of garbage (and that's coming from a person who typically loves junk). There were only a few things worth saving, including the best find of the weekend- this 1949 leather dog collar.


We also found more canning jars...


I couldn't resist hanging up some games (this ring toss project is in my book)...


Here's the lovely green dumpster full of garbage...yes!


  
A few more interior shots...



Those of you who've followed along for a while may remember this before image. The cardboard hanging from the beams was actually nailed down and then (literally) covered in mouse/bat/cat crap. So gross! Thank goodness for respirators!

barn renovationSo now what's the plan? A party, of course! My middle brother is getting married next weekend (I seriously can't wait!) and we're hosting about 30 people for the rehearsal dinner. By Thursday, this space will have a layer of new stone, globe lights & decorations, and will be filled with happy people. Yay!  

13 comments:

Cheryl Cochran said...

Dumpster days are THE BEST. I always feel so accomplished when we are able to get rid of a dumpster full of renovation debris.

Jessica said...

This barn is going to be beautiful! And yay for dumpsters!!!

Jessica said...

This barn is going to be beautiful when you guys are done! Yayyy for a dumpster!!

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

I agree on the dumpster. Id love one when we clean out the attic...hopefully this summer.
I cant wait to see what happens next in your barn:)

jodi inkenbrandt said...

What an amazing space!! I had to chuckle at your mother's day dumpster gift. That would have been the best present for me too! :)

Meghan Splawn said...

I follow your party barn board on pinterest - so I've been dying to see what becomes of the space. I hope you take tons of pictures of the party.

Doug Camin @ House on Rynkus Hill said...

Wow that's quite the huge project. This barn is going to be awesome.

I was going to give you a hard time this morning that you hadn't updated your blog in awhile, too! Ha!

piia said...

i really missed the pictures of your renovations. so glad you are back!

Laurel T said...

So jealous. I covet that barn AND the dumpster. Can not wait to see your photos.

kristin said...

Abbey I've missed you! Was just wondering if/when you'd return. Barn will be wonderful, wish I had a freakin' dumpster - so satisfying to do that kind of deep cleaning.

April said...

So excited you are back! I've missed your regular posts...

smei said...

Such a neat space! Hope you share some "after" photos :)

Katrina said...

oh my goodness, you've done SO much work already. can't wait to see the party inspiration. i dream of one day having a farmhouse and a barn. just haven't yet been able to pry myself from the big cities. not yet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...